My Dog Training Years

One interest I always had was training dogs with or without behavioural problems. When I was a baby in arms my family always had a relatively large dog. Maybe it just seemed like that because I was so small back then. Sometimes our dogs had behavioural problems such as excessive barking, jumping up and running wild. The first I remember was Floss, a sheepdog who was a really exciting fellow indeed. He was predominantly white with some black and tan highlights thrown in for distraction.

Anyway when I was eleven years old and was on summer vacation from school the whole family went to my Mother's home place in rural Ireland for a the summer months. One day while on my regular rounds around the local town visiting cousins friends and acquaintances didn't I hear the barking of what I discovered to be a lovely dog. He was an Irish red setter. Wow, I thought, I would love that fine looking dog. His name was Bruno and was owned by the local police sergeant. To my utter surprise it turned out that sergeant Lowery was willing to sell the barking dog and within thirty minutes of spotting the lovely dog I had arranged to buy him for six pounds. My first ever serious purchase. Wow, I was delighted.

I now had to run home to tell my parents whom to my dismay seemed to take the news as though I was always as entitled as the next to conduct such negotiations without question. I was concerned that they would be concerned as regards strange dog's behavioral problems. But no there was no such concern. I do seem to remember having to arrange an advance on my pocket money or some such issue. But it was sure worth it to have such a fine dog, and all the family seemed very happy with the new addition to the household. I remember wondering how the dog knew that he was mine. He took to me so well and also I to him. I was the master and he was my new companion. I surely was proud.

I remember even my Father deciding that he better bring the dog home to Dublin ahead of the rest of us just to settle him in at home before we all returned for the new school term. Of course it was just that Dad wanted to be first to sport the new great dog around the parish in view of all the jealous locals. Dad was proud of the new addition too. That was easy to tell. By the time I got home to Dublin that September Dad had changed the dogs name from Bruno to Bran, saying that that was a more fitting name for a mature looking dog. I think my Dad didn't like the dog's name to remind him of the like named pipe tobacco regularly advertised on TV. He was always very anti smoking.

Anyway no sooner did I settle back to city life then I started to train Bran to my liking. Sit, lie down, stay, fetch, heel and sit up were the commands that I centered on. Bran was more than happy to oblige. He was so happy to be told what I wanted him to do and also he was happier to understand each different order. Eventually he literally went on the jumping through hoola hoops. I know that is not what the inventor intended for his novel product but I found a new purpose for it.

Of course I took to dog training my dogs like a duck to water. Since those days I have always had one or more dogs. Since then I can list an Irish Red Setter, a Doberman, an Afghan Hound and also, what is now my favourite breed of all, a number of German Shepard dogs. German Shepards are so keen to learn to please their master by obeying their every command. Actually nearly every breed of dog is that way inclined, if treated well by responsible owners.

Dogs can start of by having behavioral problems. But if such behavioral problems are caught early by understanding masters and owners, then there is no problem in the long run. I really enjoyed training my dogs to behave in an ideal manner and advice on such matters is always an advantage. A properly behaved and responsive dog is worth its weight in gold. A properly trained dog is a great personal asset as regards companionship and security. And remember that owning a dog is a very real responsibility.

Mort O Kelly, Dublin, Ireland has had experience in training his own dogs for more than thirty years. Why not go and check out Mort's dog's website at: http://woofwoofblog.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mort_O_Kelly

Labels:

Posted by manung36, Friday, December 28, 2007 12:38 AM

0 Comments:

<< Home | << Add a comment